Monday, December 7, 2009

What is a Tippet?

Alright, I didn't post no pics from the other day, because I got skunked! It was a little chilly (okay very cold!)and I knew the monsters were a little deeper, but I haven't made up my mind yet on the one man pontoon or the kayak so I was fishing from the bank. Maybe my wife will surprise me at Christmas! How do I know they were out there? After two hours I started to pack up then across on the other side out of my reach "Splash!" up out of the water a Bass jumped out and it was like he stuck his tongue out at me to make fun of the whole situation! But that's alright I have him on target! I have my sights on him as well! Now for the question of the day? what is a tippet? I'm going to start with the last piece in the water and eventually through the post, work my way back to the pole. But a tippet is a clear piece of mono filament that is attached to the end of a leader. Every time you get snagged, hung up, or the fly breaks off, the tippet helps keep your leader in tact, and maintain the integrity. Tippet material is cheap and leaders can cost more depending on how they are made and what they are made of. Now let's make it plain, the tippet is there to make the fish think it is a real fly sitting on the water without having a noticeable line there, which many folks sometimes underestimate how smart a fish can be! Tomorrow I will post on the giveaway I'm going to start for you faithful readers! Don't worry it won't cost you a thing! just my way of saying thanks for supporting this new blog!

Tight Lines!
Mr."T" The Bluegill Tracker

No comments:

Post a Comment